Please find a recent editorial I wrote to the Sun Sailor on solving the problem associated with rising health care costs: http://sailor.mnsun.com/2016/10/27/letter-applebaum-refutes-health-care-policy-flyers/
Our health care system should provide everyone with the opportunity to secure affordable, quality medical care. Too many Minnesotans struggle with the cost of health care in a system that favors powerful prescription drug manufacturers and insurance companies over Minnesota families. We need to continue to find ways to control healthcare costs and ensure that premiums remain affordable.
One important step is to continue to encourage Minnesota’s health insurers to pay hospitals and physicians based on the quality of the services they provide, rather than on the volume of services they perform. Minnesota’s nonprofit health plans already have taken significant steps in this direction and we need to encourage them to continue down this path. We also need to encourage healthier lifestyles.
Please know that I will always continue to support expedited funding for initiatives aimed at caring for our children, seniors, veterans and families.
During the past biennium, I supported and/or voted for:
- A 5% pay increase for home and community-based health care providers
- MinnesotaCare to remain a health care option for 100,000 Minnesotans
- An increase in child protection funding
- Health care cost savings for small and midsize companies
- Reducing the cost of prescription drugs
- Reducing the waste in our health care system